Our Governors

Profiles of Llangattock Governors.

Jim Retallick – Chair – Foundation Governor

Jim has taught in six local authorities during a 30-year teaching career. After retiring as headteacher he set up an educational consultancy as well as returning to the classroom to teach A-level physics on a part-time basis. He now works for the Association of School and College Leaders as their National Officer for Wales. Jim has been an Estyn Peer Inspector as well as working on a number of Welsh Government working groups.

Nell Cawley – Vice Chair – Foundation Governor

I’m a mum of two busy boys! Both at Llangattock school.  I’m really pleased to be invited to be a Foundation Governor, especially at a time of great change in all of our lives. I look forward to supporting the school within my role. I love spending time with the family, adventures and playing the piano. I recently started line dancing!

Ann Williams – Llangattock Community Council Governor

I have lived in the village for 38yrs and have been a member of St Catwg’s Church most of that time. Our three children attended Llangattock school and now two of our grandchildren.  I am appointed governor for Llangattock Community Council.

Cllr Jackie Charlton – Local Education Authority Governor Ann Williams

I was elected as a County Councillor in 2017 and have been a Local Education Authority Governor (LEA) since April this year.  I am particularly interested in how the school delivers pastoral care, supports additional learning needs (ALN) and, as a pioneer school, will embrace the new Curriculum when it is established.

I have a keen interest in education and policy matters and have been a third sector teacher as well as being in business and supporting equalities issues in many different sectors including the health sector.  I am honoured to have been nominated and accepted as a Governor of Llangattock Church in Wales Primary School.

Val Jones – Foundation Governor

At the beginning of this year, I was pleased to be invited to become a Foundation Governor for Llangattock Church in Wales School.

In 2008, I began to assist the school with guided and individual reading in years 3 and 4.  Then in 2010, I added years 1 and 2 to my responsibilities.  During this time, I have developed a good rapport with all the staff and the children treat me with respect.

I trained as a teacher at Liverpool University and I then taught for twenty two years.  Following this, my husband and I created a business in Crickhowell, I was obliged to turn myself into a Managing Director, which at first I found to be challenging.  This, however, gave me an understanding of how a business works.  The company, after I sold it, survives to this day and is doing well, but I have retired.

I have always tried to contribute, in some way, to the community in which I live, and I have, as a mother, grandmother and great grandmother, a huge interest in the success of children.

I believe that reading is the key to any real progress.

The children in our care, are our future!

Richard Thomas – Parent Governor

My two daughters attend Llangattock School.  I am a teacher of Design & Technology and a middle leader in a local secondary school – I have been teaching for 15 years in a variety of schools and I have a very good understanding of how a school operates on a day to day basis.  I became a governor as I wanted to become more involved in supporting my daughters and their peers in their educational experience at Llangattock School.  Residing within the village, I feel that I am an approachable person and able to communicate with both parents and teachers to work together to achieve high standards of Teaching & Learning.

Katherine Durbin – Headteacher

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is image-3.png

Rhian Whittle – Staff Governor

George Smith – Foundation Governor

George-Smith

I live in Llangattock and am a part-time teacher and have a small farm.  I enjoy outdoor sports like mountain biking and running.

Tom Close – Parent Governor

Reverend Jeremy Bevan – Diocesan Foundation Governor

I am a parish priest in the church in Wales, resident in Gilwern, but having responsibilities over a wide area from Brynmawr, to Cwmdu, to Forest Coal Pits, as well as Gilwern and Llangattock. I am interested in the education of children, and the good things that can come by forming community over different areas of life; the creative and beneficial relationships between church, school, and village.